Jamie Carragher: Fernando Torres is the greatest

By Dan Kay on Jun 28, 08 09:56 AM in Journalists

Story by Ben Thornley

JAMIE CARRAGHER believes Liverpool team-mate Fernando Torres has proven he's the world's greatest striker in Spain's run to the Euro 2008 final.

The Anfield forward, who scored a record 33 goals in his debut Premier League season last term, has continued his impressive club form for Luis Aragones' men, who take on Germany in Vienna tomorrow, in the tournament

Now with Torres on the brink of becoming a European champion ahead of tomorrow's final, Carragher insists he wouldn't swap the form Atletico Madrid striker for anyone else.

"He has a great partnership with Villa they look really sharp the two of them and Fernando has took his form from Liverpool into the national team," said the defender.

"He does not have to prove anything to anyone at Liverpool as he has done it in the Champions League and I am sure he has gone down well in Spain.

"I am a Liverpool player and I am biased, I suppose, but for me he is the best.

"I am just delighted to be in the same team as him and it was a great bit of business by the club last summer, great for Rafa who brought him in and he has repaid everyone.

"Hopefully he will do it for the next four or five years for Liverpool, but at the moment I would not swap him for anyone."