LFC ACADEMY: Pourie pots brace for youngsters

By Chris Wright on Sep 30, 08 09:35 AM in Journalists

TWO goals from Marvin Pourie helped Liverpool Under-18s come back from a goal down at the break to win 3-1 at Crewe Alexandra on Saturday.

Hughie McAuley's side made it five wins from six FA Premier Academy League matches this season to go top of the North West section.

Liverpool found themselves a goal down on six minutes when they were caught out on the attack and Crewe broke to score.

But for a couple of good saves from keeper Dean Bouzanis they would have found themselves even further behind.

Liverpool had some half chances, but they could not make the breakthrough and went into half-time 1-0 down.

After the break, though, they got back in it. Thomas Ince, son of former Liverpool midfielder and current Blackburn manager Paul, tapped in from James Ellison's cross on 55 minutes.

Then German forward Pourie put them ahead 10 minutes later when, after being brought down in the area, he fired in the resultant penalty.

Pourie wrapped up the points when he fired into the top corner after exchanging passes with Ellison before firing into the top corner with 20 minutes remaining.

Ellison, David Amoo and Adam Pepper all had chances to increase the lead, but in the end Liverpool ran out 3-1 winners.

McAuley was happy with his side's second-half display. He said: "I was pleased with the second half performance, not so the first.

"We weren't at the races for the first 45 minutes, but after we sorted a few things out at the break, there was a better response in the second half. As a result of that we created good chances and by the end of the game, we could have added a few more goals."

Liverpool will look to keep ahead of their rivals at the top of table when they take on Wolverhampton Wanderers at the Kirkby Academy this Saturday (kick-off 11.30am).

LIVERPOOL U18s: Bouzanis; Metcalf, Wisdom, Kennedy, Buchtmann (Scott 70); Ellison, Roberts (Ajdarevic 60), Pepper, Ince; Pourie (Cooper 80), Ellison. Subs: Duyan.