November 2008 Archives

TO lift the gloom after his latest injury setback, here's Liverpool's number nine pitting his wits against two-year-old German Shepherd Hank, who's wearing a Steven Gerrard shirt, during the filming of a new Spanish advert at West Lancs Canine Centre in Formby

torresbenitez.jpg

RAFAEL BENITEZ is determined to get to the bottom of Fernando Torres's hamstring crisis and avoid the sort of long-term problem that disrupted Michael Owen's Anfield career.

The Liverpool manager is confident that his record signing can shake off the persistent problems that have blighted his second season in English football.

He has already missed seven Liverpool games this season following the hamstring tear he initially sustained playing for Spain in a World Cup qualifier with Belgium in September.

stevengerrard.jpg

STEVEN GERRARD today insisted his desire for success is still as strong as ever as he celebrates his 10th anniversary as a Liverpool player.

The Reds skipper made his debut for Liverpool a decade ago today and he told the ECHO the last 10 years have been the best of his life.

But now Gerrard has his heart set on more success and longs to get his hands on the Premier League trophy before his career draws to a close.

"The anniversary means a lot to me," he said. "It's been a special week and I've been having to pinch myself because I've been living this dream since I first pulled on a red shirt.

FOOTBALL clubs are often accused of being out of touch with their fans but that certainly could not be said about Liverpool this week after they agreed to do their bit to free Michael Shields.

A supporters' protest will take place at the West Ham game on Monday night and it has been given the full backing of officials at Anfield.

A mosaic will be unveiled on the Kop and the Reds players will wear t-shirts calling for Michael to be freed during the pre-match warm-up.

ryanbabel.jpg

WHEN Dutch football magazine Sportsweek reported this week that Ryan Babel is running out of patience with life at Anfield, one can only hope he was misquoted, misinterpreted or misrepresented.

Because if anyone's patience is being tested it is that of his manager, his team-mates and the Liverpool fans who are all still waiting for signs Babel is about to start fulfilling his clearly rich potential.

The former Ajax man has now been at Anfield for 18 months and in that time he has shown enough flashes of natural talent and ability to suggest he could become one of football's biggest stars.

1 2 ... 45 Next