Roys Revolution Begins Brightly

By Faith Fulcher on Jul 30, 10 01:48 PM in Fans

Team Photograph.jpg

Last night Liverpool began their campaign in Europe by having an early tie in coming season's Europa cup. This was to take place in the country of Macedonia against the little known team of FK Rabotnicki.

We had been fore warned by Roy, not to expect too much as the team would be made up of very few first team members, who having been involved in the World Cup would not be available for selection. The majority of the team would it appeared contain mostly lads from the academy whose pre-season preparation had in all intents and purposes not been that good.

But fate has a terrible habit of stepping in at the right time and for ninety minutes we witnessed what can only be described as the beginnings of Liverpool's claw back to where they belong. The only thing to mar the evening was that Liverpool Football Club could not get the rights to show the game live. You either had to watch it on sky and stump up a further £5 on top of your subscription or like myself find a stream that was worth watching.

The team though to be honest was not as bad as I had been led to believe and contained quite a good mix of Players with Lucas chosen again as Captain. It was Cavalieri, Agger, Kyriakos, Skrtel, Kelly, Jovanovic, Lucas, Spearing, Amoo, Aquiliani and Ngog. Substitutes were Gulucsi, Darby, Shelvey, Dalla Valle, Eccleston, Ayala and Ince.

As the team come out on to the pitch the atmosphere in the stadium lifted and the home supporters certainly proved that they could be noisy. This though did not affect the team and they settled into a good pattern of passing very quickly. There were very few incidents and the only one that I can recall is Martin Kelly being spoken too by the referee. It did not take long for the Liverpool team to cause problems in the Rabotnicki defense and an error between one their defenders and the goalkeeper led to Ngog scoring what was an easy goal on 17 minutes. Here was a young man who last season had been bereted because he seemed unable to cope with life on the big stage but he quelled the worries of Liverpool supporters and immediately gave notice that the team were on the way forward this season. The game very quickly became a pleasure to watch with the young players, Spearing, Kelly and Amoo proving that they were worthy of a first team place, and I sincerely hope that Roy moves them up to Melwood on a permanent basis. The only thing I guess to mare the half was that the Rabotnicki players seemed to go down injured far too easily and the constant booing whenever the Liverpool team had the ball.

Ngog Scores the first goal.jpg

The second half was in a way much the same as the first; there was a great fluency of movement with the ball. What was also pleasing to see was that the players appeared to be in tune with each other, everyone knowing where they were supposed to be and what they were supposed to be doing. The play continued and on the fifty seventh minute Ngog scored number two. Liverpool was now two nil up. Winning a game that a lot of people thought we would lose was now on the cards and suddenly things began to look brighter. Liverpool appeared to be all over Rabotnicki and although they seemed to relax a little too much for a while, controlled the game until the final whistle. To ensure that a couple more of the youngsters had a run out, Darby, Della Valle and Eccleston came on for the final 20 minutes replacing Aquilani, Agger and Amoo.

All in all it was a wonderful performance and any doubters out there I am sure will be pleased with the way Roy has got the players working together. I know the main test is yet to come when the Premiership campaign starts but if the senior players can emulate what I saw last night then I honestly believe that the horror of last season will quickly disappear into the realms of history.

Liverpool Football Club is definitely on its way back and although I certainly do not expect us to get the premiership title, I can certainly see getting as high as third place.