Liverpool Football club to Mark the Passing of Two Former Reds

By Faith Fulcher on Dec 29, 10 04:27 PM in Fans

This evening before the Barclays Premiership Game of Liverpool Football Club and v Wolverhampton Wanders there will be a period of applause to mark the passing of former players Avi Cohen and Bill (William) Jones.


Yesterday Avi's son Tamir gave a press conference to announce that Avi who had been in a serious motorcycle accident the week before, lost his fight for life. His funeral will take place in Israel this evening.

Avi was born Abraham Cohen in Cairo on 14th November 1956 and joined Liverpool Football Club in 1979 after being watched by Bob Paisley for six months.

He made his debut on 15th September 1979 due to the absence of Ray Kennedy but it was the following April before he again featured in the first team, coming on for an injured Colin Irwin during the game with Stoke City.

Avi though became well known for the two goals he scored during the match against Aston Villa at Anfield. This was the game that ensured Liverpool regained the League Championship and after David Johnson had put the home team in the lead Avi had the misfortune to slice an attempted clearance over Ray Clemences's head and into his own goal. As luck would have it though five minutes into the second half he drove a low shot into the goal at the Kop end. This of course gave Liverpool the lead and the League Championship.

The following season Avi played in 14 league matches (1980-81) before being sold back to Israel. He returned to Britain in 1987 playing for Graeme Souness at Rangers.
During his career, he also played at the following clubs: Maccabi Tel Aviv, Maccabi Tel Aviv (2) Rangers, Sheffield United, Huddersfield Town, Port Elizabeth (South Africa)


It was announced at Lunchtime today that Bill died naturally aged 89 in the Countess of Chester Hospital.

Bill was born on 13th May 1921 in Whaley Bridge and signed for Liverpool Football club in 1938 after playing for Derbyshire Side Hayfield St Mathews. He did not make his full debut for Liverpool until 31st August 1946 due to World War II, during which he won a military medal for the Allied crossing of the Rhine. Bill was now a 24 year old and could play in any position which enabled him to help Liverpool win the first Division Championship that year.

Although the club would not challenge for the league title for the next twenty years Bill was an integral part of the team for seven of those seasons and did all he could to help them progress further up the league.

He played in Liverpool's first ever Wembley cup final against Arsenal in 1950, but had to settle for the runner' up medal. Unfortunately though the club did not build on his success and at the end of the 1953-54 they were relegated. This proved to be Bill's last season at the club.

His 256th and final league appearance was marked by losing to Blackpool. He was also capped by his country twice.

His other clubs were, Hayfield St Matthews (amateur) Leeds and Reading (wartime guest) and Ellesmere Port Town.

He did eventually go back to Liverpool Football Club as a scout and was the man responsible for bringing Roger Hunt to the club.
His Grandson Rob Jones has also played for Liverpool Football Club.

On Behalf of everyone I send our condolences to both families at this very sad time.

My thanks to LFCTV Player Profiles for providing the Information.

Keep up to date


Next Match

Man City v Liverpool

Premier League
Tues 3 Jan 20:00

View latest news here

Last Match

Liverpool 3 Newcastle 1
Premier League
Fri Dec 30

View our reports here

Liverpool Twitter


Sponsored Links