Suarez Cures The Yuletide Blues

By Faith Fulcher on Dec 30, 12 09:03 PM in Fans

Although we still have one game to play before our Christmas schedule is over, today was the day that quite possibly would prove to the supporters, Liverpool were in fact making the expected improvements under manager Brendan Rodgers.  We were after all playing Queens Park Rangers, who are still languishing in the relegation zone having only won, one game.

Off the field matters took precedence first though, as it was announced at lunchtime today that Brendan Rodgers would not attend the game due to an illness. This meant that Colin Pascoe, who himself was ill and Mike Marsh were in charge of first team affairs for the day.  The illness also claimed reserve goalkeeper Brad Jones and meant that Peter Gulasci had to be rushed down to London from Merseyside.

The next thing that annoyed the majority of Liverpool supporters was the fact that Liverpool were playing in that DREADFUL black kit.  Now that kit should not see the light of day because it is so awful, but I guess it has to be worn several times a year under the agreement put into place with Warrior.  I also understand that the sales of the shirt are extremely low, so I get the feeling Liverpool have been told to wear it, to ensure it gets more exposure.  It won't work of course, because Liverpool have played in Red since the 1960's and that must NEVER change.

The match itself began very sprightly with Liverpool gaining the ascendancy immediately.  They were running circles around the Queens Park Rangers players and it was not long before the brilliance of Luis Suarez shone through once again.

He began his goals scoring exploits today by turning Clint Hill on the edge of the box and sending a low ball straight into the corner of the net.  Now you would have thought that having watched Liverpool break through their defence and scoring a goal early on, Queens Park Rangers would have woken up and re-grouped.

It did not happen and the Luis Suarez master class scored a further goal six minutes later.  This time he had sent a low ball towards the net, but this was cleared by Nedum Onuoha, who sent it back towards Suarez's feet.  What does the lad do, he met it with his left foot and it found the back of the net.

Liverpool was now two up and to be honest although only sixteen minutes of the game had been played, it was being seen as already being won by Liverpool.  Queens Park Rangers were absolutely dreadful and I don't know whether this was simply down to a could not give a damn attitude or the fact that and I mean no offense to Harry Redknapp here, they simply had not trained well enough.

Liverpool of course were still on the hunt for more goals at this point and on twenty eight minutes Daniel Agger sent a header into the back of the net after picking up a cross from Stevie G.  How they never scored any more in the first half was simply down to them being either over the bar or indeed slightly off target, but Liverpool went into the dressing room with a comfortable lead.

With the second half about to start it was revealed that Colin Pascoe, who himself was suffering from a  slightly different illness to Brendan had been banned from the away dressing room at half time, to ensure that he was not passed onto the players.  Whether this has worked or not, we shall find out when the team is announced for our game against Sunderland on Wednesday evening.

At this point the worry was that Liverpool being Liverpool would become to complacent and let QPR into the game.  They did to a certain degree which meant that the pace of play slowed down and that there were no further goals scored.  Thankfully because Queens Park Rangers were so bad, it also meant that we managed to keep them from scoring.

Unfortunately for the Liverpool during the second half Jose Enrique received a tear to his hamstring which will see him side-lined for between 6-8 weeks.  Hopefully this will give young Jack Robinson a chance to play first team football once more, unless of course Brendan brings a player in during the January window to fill that position.

It was also revealed after the game that Jordan Henderson left his sick bed to play in the team - that may have seemed like a good idea to begin with, but I am not sure looking forward if it was right thing for him to do.

But the main thing of course is that we won today and although an easy win, it is something to build on and hopefully perhaps this time the team can begin to string some wins together to ensure that we move further up the table.