How LFC can beat Man United: Echo readers pick their team and tactics

By sean_bradbury on Jan 12, 13 01:31 PM in

WE ASKED Echo website readers to tell us their team and tactics ahead of Sunday's showdown at Old Trafford and the verdict is clear - Liverpool FC should take the game to Man United.

Your starting XI

Man United v LFC ECHO readers team.jpg

The image above shows the team ECHO readers want to see tomorrow.

58.3% of responses advocated a 4-3-3 formation, while 23.0% said the Reds should be a touch more cautious and go 4-2-3-1.

Pepe Reina took 94.6% of the votes to start in goal, with a quartet of clear choices in a back four in front of him: Daniel Agger (99.3%) and Martin Skrtel (98.7%) in the centre, with Glen Johnson (99.0%) and Andre Wisdom (76.2%) on the flanks.

In midfield, Steven Gerrard (99.1%) and Lucas (93.6%) were near-certainties and Joe Allen (43.4%) held off a challenge from the recent good form of Jordan Henderson (33.5%).

Upfront, Luis Suarez was a sure starter (99.1%) and new Red Daniel Sturridge also got the nod (82.2%) along with Raheem Sterling (67.8%).

On the bench:

Brad Jones (4.7% had him in their starting XI)
Jamie Carragher (14.8%)
Jack Robinson (6.2%)
Jordan Henderson (33.5%)
Jonjo Shelvey (20.8%)
Stewart Downing (24.5%)
Suso (5.7%)

Tactics

We asked for a brief tactical plan of how to get a result against United. Here are a few of your suggestions:

"Counter-attacking football absorbing pressure with a deep-lying midfield and pace up front"

"Target the wing backs with the pace of Sterling and Sturridge. Lucas and Shelvey closing down the midfield stopping the ball getting to RVP. Be patient and wait for the chance to strike on the counter"

"Utd are weak in the midfield and we need to dominate midfield to win the game, Stevie G should play an advanced role behind Sturridge and Suarez to open the Utd defence, Lucas - holding midfielder, Downing and Johnson can advance forward into the wings when in possession"

"Press their defence high up the pitch get Suarez and Sturridge working their backline. Get around the back of their full backs and give targets to Downing and Sterling to deliver as many balls into the box from wide areas and across their six yard box"

"It is essential in a game of this magnitude to get through the early stages of the game unscathed. If we survive the first twenty minutes by using our pressing game and pressing all over the field and high up the park, we will stand every chance of being able to take the points back up the M62. Our passing game is frightening when it works and over recent weeks (particularly against Fulham and Sunderland) it has started to really click into place"

"Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling to interchange with support from midfield. Lucas to sit in front of the back four with Jordan Henderson and Gerrard bombing on when required"

"Attack them from the start, their defence is slow and poor and our speed can upset them. We must control midfield and mark Van Persie very tightly"

Main man

Who will be the key player for the Reds tomorrow? Here are your thoughts:

"Obviously the current figurehead of Liverpool's goal threat is Suarez and he'll have to be on top form to ensure victory. However, I think Lucas will be key in breaking up United's attack and releasing our Counter-attacks, which I feel will give us the best chance of exploiting United's leaky defence"

"Henderson and Lucas. Need them pressing aggressively"

"Gerrard. He's shown before that this match means more than an ordinary match to him. Has great tackling, passing and crossing ability. Will create problems for the United midfield. Will be the one that makes Suarez a goal threat"

"Martin Skrtel. Coping with RVP and potentially having to cover for Wisdom on occasions"

"I would say Sturridge, because Suarez will be running rings around their defence and can lay them off for Daniel to belt home. SG won't be far behind, keeping the middle working as a cohesive whole and blocking out RVP"

"Luis Suarez. Who else?"