Results tagged “Champions League” from Liverpool FC News, Discussion & Debate | Liverpool Banter

kuytcityafeb10-450.jpg

Comparisons from this season to last have been a regular talking point amongst Liverpool fans this year but nothing quite sums the difference up better than this past weekend and the home draw with Fulham.

On Grand National weekend 2009, Liverpool were playing the same opposition on a beautiful day by the Thames. A phenomenal performance in a must win game as Yossi Benayoun's excellent finish won the game by a nose in the final minute.

'now you're gonna believe us, were gonna win the league' sounded round Craven Cottage as every travelling red did believe that as the reds entered the final stretch, they could win it.

Rafael Benitez's side didn't quite last the distance but it was visible progress, the side had a look of champions.

IT'S not over until the fat lady sings. On a glorious day at Anfield it was as though the Weather Girls were waiting in limbo with a few of their larger sisters in tow.

The black armbands worn by Liverpool's players were a mark of respect for the 96 supporters who lost their lives at Hillsborough 21 years ago this coming Thursday.

For those who knew no better, they might well have signalled the end of the club's Champions League hopes for next season.

IAN RUSH on the Reds' chances of making the top four plus his thoughts on his successor in the Liverpool number nine shirt, Fernando Torres

LIVERPOOL'S home form is good enough to guarantee a place in the Champions League - but will results on the road be able to back them up?

For whatever reason, we find ourselves in a desperate fight to get into the top four and the only way the Reds will salvage the situation is by picking up results at Birmingham City, Burnley and Hull.

Last week at Old Trafford was indicative of the way things have gone on our travels; we started brightly, managed to nick a goal - our first in the Premier League away from Anfield since Sotirios Kyrgiakos bundled in at Stoke - but ultimately came up short.

Babel hopes to play himself into World Cup reckoning

Dutch forward eager to grab fourth place with Reds and win South Africa place at same time.

Mascherano deal closer for Liverpool

RAFA BENITEZ has hailed Javier Mascherano as "a player every manager would like to have" - as he revealed talks over the midfielder's new deal are heading to a successful conclusion.