Results tagged “FA Cup” from Liverpool FC News, Discussion & Debate | Liverpool Banter

readingwinner450.jpg

LIVERPOOL supporters of a certain vintage may recall two FA Cup games at the back ends of decades which were to define the following 10 years.

Almost 51 years to the day on January 15, 1959, Liverpool, then in the Second Division, were memorably dumped out of the FA Cup at the third round stage by non-League Worcester City, a 2-1 reverse widely seen as the worst in the club's history.

Then, in a sixth round tie on February 21, 1970, the Reds fell 1-0 at Second Division Watford, who, while progressing to the FA Cup semi-finals at our expense, were also on their way into the Third Division at the season's end.

ngogreadingh450.jpg

AFTER a weekend of high drama, football returned to the top of Liverpool's priority list last night.

With so much chatter nowadays about ownership and takeovers, debts and finances, the new stadium and internal politics, it is easy to forget a football club still exists at Anfield, one that used to be the pre-eminent force in Europe.

Those days, of course, have long since gone but one thing that will never change on the Red half of Merseyside is a desire to talk about events on the field; about passing and movement, goals, great players and ambitions.

readinghfacup450.jpg

THE obscenities that emerged from the fingers of Tom Hicks Jnr were nothing compared to those raining down from the Anfield stands last night.

After a week dominated by the potty-mouthed outburst that prompted a board reshuffle, the air of resignation spread to the first team as Liverpool crashed out of the FA Cup in truly dismal fashion.

A dreadful campaign plumbed new depths as Coca-Cola Championship strugglers Reading fought from behind to deservedly triumph in this third round replay.

hicksjnr.jpg

THE Tom Hicks Junior episode has led to Liverpool Football Club once again airing its dirty linen in public.

He was only on the board of directors by virtue of his father owning half the club, and I don't think his standing down will make any difference.

Quite simply, it wasn't a good idea for someone in his position to behave as he did.

gerrardreadinga450.jpg

LIVERPOOL need to fly out of the blocks to ensure they wreck Reading's hopes of causing an FA Cup upset at Anfield tomorrow night.

The competition represents the Reds' best hope of winning a trophy this season and it's vital we don't give the Championship club a sniff of glory.

Too often this season we've started matches sluggishly, but against Reading we need to play with a high tempo and ensure they are on the back foot from the opening minute.