Results tagged “Merseyside derby” from Liverpool FC News, Discussion & Debate | Liverpool Banter

Merseysidederby

It's that time of year again, Everton vs. Liverpool is one of the most eagerly awaited matches of the season. The Merseyside derby is arguably the biggest in England and, as usual, will provide plenty of talking points.

Both teams go into the match in decent form. Last week, Liverpool beat Wolves 2-1 at home while Everton lost against Manchester City but beat Wigan the week before by three goals to one.

Enhanced by Zemanta

gerrardevertonfeb10-450.jpg

LIVERPOOL'S worries over not making the Champions League have hung over them like a dark cloud all winter.

But now it is starting to lift. And as the weather hopefully gets a bit brighter, so do the prospects of Rafael Benitez's team holding on to the place in the top four they secured with victory over Everton in the Merseyside derby.

In fact, forget top four. Top three will become a genuine target with a good result at the Emirates tomorrow.

dirk kuyt.jpg

There's going to be a lot of analysis about Liverpool's excellent win over Everton on Saturday with the main focus on the Reds grit and determination, even when they were down to ten men. Everton just couldn't cope and resorted to tackles that should have brought them at least two red cards earlier in the game before Pienaar was eventually, and justifiably, sent off.

It was an enthralling match with few goal scoring chances, the highlights being Gerrard's terrific free-kick from just outside the box that hit the cross-bar with Howard well beaten and Dirk Kuyt's close range, match winning, header from a perfect Gerrard corner kick. Kuyt deserves a lot a credit for his positioning and persistence on that one. Fortunately, Cahill missed a glorious opportunity to put Everton ahead at the end of the 1st half although, looking at the replay, Reina may well have had it covered.

The big controversy's of course were the sending off's, or should I say the lack of them.

kygiakosjan2010.jpg

I THINK Sotirios Kyrgiakos will have a key role to play in Saturday's derby.

I'll be honest, when I first saw the big Greek defender play I wasn't impressed. I didn't think he was good enough for a club of Liverpool's stature but he's made me reassess.

Over the past four games he has been excellent. He gets stuck in and is very strong in the air.

benitezdec09450.jpg

THERE has been so much speculation over the past week, but I can't see Rafa Benitez quitting Liverpool to take over at Juventus.

To be honest, it just wouldn't make any sense. Juventus is a club close to my heart and as far as I'm concerned they are the best club in Italy.

But if Benitez left to go there he wouldn't be going to a better club or one with more money to spend on signings.