Results tagged “Robbie Keane” from Liverpool FC News, Discussion & Debate | Liverpool Banter

owenarsenal2001450.jpg

It amazes me that after coming so close to winning the Premiership title last season everyone and his dog knew that if we were to go all the way this season we needed to strengthen the midfield, to replace Alonso, and buy a quality, established, striker to partner & support Torres. Everyone except Rafa and the rest of the Anfield management team that is.

Rafa apparently has filled the void in midfield with the signing of Aquilani. I say apparently as no one has seen him play yet beside the 20 minutes he got in the Carling Cup game against Arsenal. Now am I missing something here? If Aquilani was OK to come on for 20 minutes in that game why hasn't he been used since? Rafa your logic is mystifying. But let's give Benitez the benefit of the doubt on this one. Perhaps Aquilani's injuries were more serious than we thought and he does indeed prove to be a class player.

However, there can be no forgiveness on the striker issue.

keanechelsea.jpg

I WROTE here several times that I thought that Liverpool selling Robbie Keane in January would be the best thing.

But I meant for the player and the club. And while Keane will no doubt be relieved to be back where he is loved and where the pressure is off, I don't really see the benefit for Liverpool.

Because if you're going to get rid of someone, you have to replace him.

keanebenitez.jpg

WHEN Robbie Keane signed for Liverpool last summer one of the first things he told the ECHO was how delighted he was to be joining the club he supported as a boy.

He couldn't have been any more wrong.

The Liverpool Keane followed as a youngster growing up in Dublin was a club where unity was a watchword and where boardroom politics never had a negative effect on what was happening on the pitch.

IF BEATING Chelsea gave us all a big boost six days ago at Anfield then losing at Everton on Wednesday night quickly ended the feeling.

I know the match had a dramatic climax which left Evertonians celebrating but the truth is it was a dreadful game - one of the worst derby matches I can ever remember.

The central defenders on both sides were on top from the word go. Both Graeme Sharp and myself in the radio commentary box agreed it was very poor stuff as it unfolded in front of us.

keanechelsea.jpg

HARRY REDKNAPP'S first act after re-signing Robbie Keane was to give him the Tottenham captaincy.

Now that might just be a simple act of man management by the Spurs boss, designed to lift a player whose confidence has been knocked by his in and out treatment at Anfield.

But it might also hint at one of the reasons why Rafa Benitez was prepared to cash in on a striker he only signed five months ago.