Results tagged “Tony Barrett” from Liverpool FC News, Discussion & Debate | Liverpool Banter

AS some readers will already know, this is my final Blood Red.

A fresh challenge awaits and soon this column will have a new - and no doubt more attractive - face at its head.

All that remains for me - and my apologies for going all Gwyneth Paltrow - is to thank everyone who has helped and supported me in my time as the ECHO's LFC reporter.

viennafriendly450.jpg

AS Rafa Benitez prepares for a campaign in which he will bid to bring an end to Liverpool's ever increasing wait for the league title, the Reds boss must have been delighted to see a visit to the Ernst Happel Stadium appear on his pre-season schedule.

It was, after all, at this wonderful sporting arena that one of football's longest and most inexplicable hoodoos was laid to rest.

And what's more, ending that jinx wouldn't have been possible without members of the Reds squad.

yossigallen460.jpg

WHEN you have spent an evening in the company of Roger Federer you can't help but realise how the combination of natural talent and hard work can lead to success.

After rubbing shoulders with the reigning Wimbledon champion, Liverpool began their quest to follow the Swiss master on the path to sporting glory in his homeland.

The work rate was certainly there as the Anfield outfit kicked off their preparations for the new season with a goalless draw against St Gallen but with the ring rust of summer still to be fully shaken off it is likely to be some time before they are as sharp as Federer.

ONE thing you can safely say about any Liverpool fan who was lucky enough to be in Istanbul on the night of May 25, 2005 is that they never tire of reminiscing about it.

So it was no wonder that a new play commemorating arguably the greatest night in Liverpool's history is being performed in front of packed audiences at the city's Empire theatre.

Had playwright Nicky Allt simply stuck to re-telling the story of that night it would no doubt have been enough.

hicksgillett.jpg

AS Liverpool sustained a title challenge this season, the question of the club's ownership slipped down the agenda.

Supporters rightly channelled their energy into giving Rafa Benitez's side the support they deserved in their pursuit of Manchester United rather than venting their frustration at Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

However, this week's financial figures have finally put questions about the club's future back in the spotlight.