Lack of ambition is hitting Reds hard

By Ian Rush on Jan 22, 08 06:26 PM in

THERE was a time when the only drawing power we used to talk about at Anfield was the number of fans clamouring to get into the ground.

Nowadays it means something very different.

It's been a long time since a Liverpool team has drawn six home matches by mid-January.

And for me the whole approach of the side has to change.

We are not driving into home games, not taking the match to the opposition enough until it's too late.

We are not adventurous enough, not ambitious enough - at least until we're a goal down and we have to produce a late cavalry charge.

It's time to start going out at Anfield with a much more positive attitude.

If that sees us go 1-0 down after 20 minutes, so be it. That's not an unsurmountable problem.

The crowd will get behind you and you have plenty of time to build the pressure on your opponents.

If you're overly cautious, however, then find yourself a goal down with 15 or 20 minutes to go, then you have a major problem to try and salvage even a draw, let alone win the match.

I don't really accept the argument about the off-field uncertainty affecting the players.

For me the only way it affects footballers is by giving them an excuse when things go wrong.

But I'd still like to see protests restricted to before and after the match.

During the game I think fans should concentrate on getting behind the team, and that takes away any possible excuse when things go wrong.

There were positives last night. We created chances in the first half, Sami Hyypia played well and we scored a couple of good goals. But that's not enough. Any thoughts of winning the title have long since evaporated.

We're in a fight for fourth place now and it's crucial that we win that race.

We can do that by adopting a more adventurous approach whenever we go at Anfield . . . hopefully starting this weekend against Havant and Waterlooville.