August 2008 Archives

Click Here to pick the man of the match

Rafael Benitez suffered a torrent of abuse and saw his Liverpool side miss out on the chance to go top of the Barclays Premier League after a goalless draw at Villa Park.

Aston Villa fans taunted the Reds boss with chants of 'There's only one Gareth Barry' after the collapse of the England midfielder's move to Liverpool, and some of the crowd aimed personal insults at the Reds manager.

Benitez was met with a crescendo of abuse from Villa fans when he made his way to the dug-out before shaking hands with home manager Martin O'Neill, with whom he became embroiled in a war of words over Barry.

Aside from the Barry saga, this was the summer in which the core of Liverpool's successful reserve side got an opportunity to prove their worth at a higher level. Daniel Pacheco, Damien Plessis, Jay Spearing, Kristian Nemeth, Stephen Darby and Emiliano Insua all got to play in the club's pre-season friendlies with each one hinting that, should the need arise, they were more than capable of doing a job.

SPORTS minister Andy Burnham was the guest speaker at the relaunch of Share Liverpool on Wednesday and I have to say I was tremendously impressed by him.

Politicians are sometimes accused of being out of touch with the public, but Andy turned up and spoke really well about the issues that are concerning Liverpool fans and supporters of so many other clubs.

The goal is for Liverpool fans to be able to own our own club. We know it's a tall order and it will take a hell of a lot of hard work and effort to get there, but it is achievable as long as we believe in it.

We've already had a lot of support from a lot of good people, but I think there are others out there who should be doing more to help.

1 2 ... 42 Next