November 2011 Archives

Last night, was one of those nights that should have been played out in an entirely different way.  It was the night that Liverpool met Chelsea once more at Stamford Bridge.  This time, it was to see, who out of the two teams would enter into the next round of the Carling Cup draw, which takes place this evening.

There had of course been many hours of interviews and media reports around the fact that, Liverpool would have to play this game, 48 hours after their league clash with Manchester City. This led to a large section of the media wondering if in fact, it would be a bridge to far for Liverpool, who are classed as a team in transition.  Enter a certain Kenny Dalglish, who just assured everyone, in his own wonderful way,  that Liverpool would do the best they could and under an unexpected emotional cloud, that is exactly what they did.

That emotional cloud began with the one minute's applause that was made in honour of Gary Speed, who as we all know, lost his life last weekend.  The sound around Stamford Bridge was deafening and pleasing to see as the tribute to a well-liked and wonderful player was made.  The most poignant scene of course was taken place in the middle circle.  Craig Bellamy, who had been given Sunday off as bereavement leave, was back and the tears began to fall, tears for the man who was not only his mentor but also his best mate.  We can only guess how Craig feels, but I am sure Kenny and the club will give him all the support that he needs

Sometimes though, certain things happen, that put kicking a ball around the pitch onto the back-burner.

This morning the world of football was rocked by the death of Gary Speed at the young age of 42.  As everyone from his former colleagues, his friends within the game, the media and indeed us the supporters were coming to terms with the awful news, further details began to emerge that Gary, a man with the world at his feet, took his own life.  Why, we will probably never know and we must all remember the man that played for Leeds, Newcastle and Everton and began his managerial career as the Manager of Wales - a team that he was pulling out of the doldrums and into one that could make a serious challenge in any of the competitions coming up.  Sadly he will never see the result of all his hard work but I am sure that Wales will do everything they can in their power to ensure his legacy lives on.

So on behalf of all supporters, can I please offer my sincere condolences to Gary's wife and two young boys, who will need the help of support of everyone around them at this awful time.

dalglish220111_450.jpg

KENNY DALGLISH believes the backing of a vociferous Anfield crowd can inspire Liverpool FC to victory over Premier League leaders Manchester City tomorrow.

WHEN the great Bill Shankly had it installed in the players' tunnel he announced: "It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

RESPECTING your opponent is one thing. Worrying about them is quite another. Manchester City arrive tomorrow as table-toppers who, with ourselves, have the league's meanest defence - but who have also scored more goals than anyone else. So we know they'll be tough to beat.

IT was the most expensive and talented bench in Liverpool FC's history. As the Reds tore into Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last Sunday, £71million worth of talent in Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson and Stewart Downing watched on.

johnsonchelsea450.jpg

Glen Johnson hails character of Liverpool FC after victory at Chelsea

GLEN JOHNSON hailed the character of Kenny Dalglish's Liverpool FC side after they clinched a dramatic 2-1 victory over Chelsea.

Chelsea 1 Liverpool FC 2 - James Pearce's verdict on LFC's Stamford Bridge victory

A BLAST from the past returning to haunt his old club with a stunning winner. It was the script Liverpool FC fans had feared - but the late twist in the tale at Stamford Bridge brought only delight for the travelling Kop.

EXCLUSIVE: Sick Hillsborough Facebook imposters target grieving Liverpool families

HILLSBOROUGH disaster families and survivors were conned by internet imposters as part of a sick scam, the Liverpool ECHO can reveal.

Tributes paid as Liverpool FC goalkeeper Brad Jones's son, Luca, loses brave fight against leukaemia

THE young son of Liverpool FC goalkeeper Brad Jones has lost his fight with leukaemia

That Older man of course is Kenny Dalglish, A manager who apparently had been out of the game for too long before his return in January.  He has of course set a revival in place and although stuttering at times, it certainly moving in the right direction.

The Younger man is Andre Villas Boas, who is also going through his second spell at Chelsea.  The first was as an assistant to Jose Mourinho, but he is now back as the Manager and his remit is to win the Premiership and nothing more.  Unfortunately Roman is very fickle and it looks as though this young man's career at Chelsea is already in question.

Today although the match was an important one, everyone's thoughts were elsewhere due to some very sad news that reached us all yesterday.  Liverpool's reserve goalie Brad Jones's little boy Luca had lost his brave fight against leukaemia and the team wore black armbands in the little boys honour. At the end of the game, the result would also be dedicated to Luca and his family, who are going to find life very tough for the foreseeable future.

1 2 Next

Latest Premier League video

Video

Recent Comments