October 2010 Archives

"We have got a lot more expensive failures on our list than good players that we have brought in for next to nothing."

So says Roy Hodgson. You may also know him as the motivational master who brought the "B Team' reference to Anfield.

hodgsonaug2010_450.jpg

Liverpool FC boss Roy Hodgson to buy big in January but won't be held to ransom

ROY HODGSON today stated his intention to improve Liverpool's squad in the winter transfer window - but warned prospective sellers he will not be held to ransom.

Roy Hodgson will turn Liverpool FC around insists Paul Konchesky

PHIL DOWD had just given a long toot of his whistle to confirm Liverpool's first Premier League win in nearly two months when all eyes switched to the dugout.

Liverpool FC and Everton FC legends turn out for premiere of The Ballad of Dixie and Kenny (GALLERY)

LIVERPOOL and Everton football legends turned out in force for the world premiere of Merseyside feature film Reds and Blues, The Ballad of Dixie and Kenny.

Match preview: Bolton v Liverpool FC, Premier League

Everything you need to know ahead of the Reds' trip to the Reebok

pepereina450.jpg

Liverpool FC boss Roy Hodgson tells Man United: Hands off Pepe Reina

ROY HODGSON today told any clubs considering making a move for Pepe Reina: don't bother wasting your time.

Roy Hodgson hails Liverpool FC's head boy Sotirios Kyrgiakos

ROY HODGSON has backed Sotirios Kyrgiakos to become Liverpool's head boy as he hailed the Greek defender's impressive vein of form.

Phil Thompson: Liverpool FC can start making sweet music again

LIVERPOOL are blessed to have the most emotional, inspiring anthem there is in modern football and we saw the powers of it again last weekend.

Liverpool FC Fans' forum - Reds supporters on Kyrgiakos, the Blackburn game and more

THE dismal start to this season may yet prove a blessing to Liverpool, because of the lack of success.

skrtel.jpg

No distractions, no excuses for Liverpool FC - Martin Skrtel

MARTIN SKRTEL today insisted Liverpool can have no excuses as they set about the challenge of altering the look of the Premier League table.

Pepe Reina reckons Liverpool FC showed some of their old spirit in the win against Blackburn

PEPE REINA is confident Liverpool are ready to fall back into the old routine - and prove they can be a Premier League force once again.

Merseyside football film The Ballad of Dixie and Kenny set to hit the big screen

FOOTBALL farce is set to return to the big screen with the release of Merseyside feature film Reds and Blues, The Ballad of Dixie and Kenny.

Review: The Ballad of Dixie and Kenny, Odeon, Liverpool One

"IT'S not about being a Red or a Blue," said writer Dave Kirby as he introduced his latest football-inspired creation.

Thomas Waving to the Crowd.jpg

After an encouraging performance on Sunday all eyes will be on the game against Bolton to see whether this is indeed the start of a revival at Liverpool FC or simply an aberration that gives the false illusion of hope. Whilst all Liverpool fans will hope it is the former, the task that confronts the club's players, manager and owners should not be underestimated.

Rafa Benitez left a squad in decline. Yes the overall quality of the squad was better than what he inherited, but only marginally. That he spent an extremely large amount of money in all but his last season or two in charge should guarantee as much, if not more. On too many occasions Rafa went for quantity rather than quality. That we could have bought David Silva for £22 million but chose not to in favour of adding more than one player to our squad still leaves a bitter taste. Despite everything that the owners were, Benitez is to blame for this. What have the players Liverpool FC bought instead of Silva provided the club?

Xabi Alonso's case is another example of when Benitez put his personal vanity ahead of the club's progress. That he could have reconciled his differences with the player for the good of the club was obviously asking too much. It is no coincidence that Liverpool's fortunes have drastically fallen with Alonso's departure. He played a pivotal role in the team. Not only did he develop into a solid ball-winner but he was excellent in building up attacks and providing Gerrard the confidence to push further forward and play just behind Fernando Torres. With Alonso's departure our team was left without a spine and the subsequent poor results were sadly inevitable. Benitez's excellent work in bringing in a player of Alonso's class for under £15 million was nullified by one act of pride and narcissism.

1 2 ... 7 Next

Latest Premier League video

Video

Recent Comments