January 2010 Archives

kuytbolton.jpg

After having a fitful night's sleep I woke up knowing that the today could mark the beginning and the end of several things connected with Liverpool Football Club. It was another of those must win games for the club and it had the added mystery of not knowing whether Rafa Benitez would still be the club's manager at the end of the day. The rumour mill had been in full swing over the last few days linking him with the now vacant job at Juventus.

After having breakfast and leaving the hotel, I walked down to Liverpool One and saw how magnificent the wheel was. It stands proud in the middle of Chavasse Park and it is as though it had been there for years. Crossing the road and going towards the ferry terminal I noticed how many Liverpool supporters were already on the streets. They were all clutching their purchases from the LFC shop and I guess filled with the same anticipation as I was feeling.

The River Mersey was strangely quiet with no shipping going in either direction apart from the Mersey Ferries. I watched the river for a while before going into the ferry terminal and there before me were 4 Beatle Penguins. That was the sign I was looking for. The day was going as planned, I had seen the wheel and come across four penguins after being annoyed that due to the postponement of the Tottenham game a couple of weeks earlier I thought I had missed the penguin trail.

benitezjan2010-450.jpg

Liverpool FC face fight to keep Rafa Benitez out of Juventus' clutches

LIVERPOOL are facing a fight to hold on to Rafa Benitez after he admitted to being "proud" that Juventus want him to become their manager.

COMMENT: Battle-weary Rafa Benitez could decide to end Liverpool FC war

SUDDENLY it seems different. Liverpool supporters have seen Rafa Benitez linked with jobs away from Anfield before but never thought he would leave - until now.

Liverpool FC assistant manager Sammy Lee focusing on the positives ahead of Bolton clash

THE art of being a good coach demands you're a realist as well as an optimist and Sammy Lee has found the right blend this week.

DOMINIC KING: Remarkable Pepe Reina is the real deal for Liverpool FC

ANOTHER weekend, another milestone - Pepe Reina's enduring consistency will be recognised this afternoon when he makes his 100th consecutive Premier League start for Liverpool.

kuytwolves450.jpg

THERE are two days remaining of the transfer window and, unless we see a dramatic change, it will close without Liverpool doing any more business.

After Tuesday's listless display at Wolves, that is a huge concern. Liverpool are crying out for someone with pace or who can add a different goal threat and it is worrying we haven't been able to act.

I've no doubt Rafa Benitez would have loved to have got involved in some buying to go alongside his selling but, with Maxi Rodriguez the only addition to the fold, he is having to put a brave face.

benitez250109.jpg

New investment key to keeping Rafa Benitez at Liverpool FC as Juventus wait

RAFAEL BENITEZ has warned Liverpool's board they must find new investment if he is to resist overtures from Juventus this summer.

Confidence will help Liverpool FC regain attacking edge - Rafa Benitez

RAFAEL BENITEZ has spent so much time on the defensive lately that perhaps it's no surprise his team seem intent on following suit.

REDS manager Rafa Benitez has maintained ahead of Liverpool's weekend clash with Bolton that both he and Yossi Benayoun are staying at Anfield

1 2 ... 15 Next