December 2008 Archives

gerrardbenitez2008.jpg

LIVERPOOL manager Rafa Benitez today gave Steven Gerrard his full backing after he was charged with assaulting a DJ.

The Reds boss, who returned to training today for the first time since undergoing surgery on a kidney stone problem a fortnight ago, said: "Steven is our captain and a key player for us, but more than this, I know him as a nice person.

"I sat down with him this morning and had a very good talk with him about the situation and I was also able to speak at length with our club lawyer.

jpennant.jpg

JERMAINE Pennant's hopes of securing a dream move to Real Madrid appear to have been dashed after the Spanish giants withdrew their £3m offer to Liverpool.

The Reds received a bid from Real for their out of favour winger two days before Christmas but the proposed deal has now mysteriously collapsed.

Initially, personal terms were said to be a possible stumbling block but sources in Spain have indicated that Real withdrew their offer at the request of manager Juande Ramos who is said to be unconvinced about Pennant's ability to make an impact at the La Liga club.

Pennant has become an increasingly peripheral figure at Anfield and has not made a single appearance in Rafa Benitez's side in more than two months.

gerrardmascheranonewcastle.jpg

IT COULD hardly have been a happier Christmas for Liverpool and the fans.

Two first class performances against Bolton and Newcastle and at last, goals galore to celebrate as we go into New Year at the top of the league.

Now the business end of the season is here and things really start to shape up.

marinakennydalglish.jpg

ANFIELD legend Kenny Dalglish today told of his family's pride after his wife was honoured with an MBE.

Marina Dalglish was recognised by the Queen for her breast cancer charity work in Liverpool.

Kenny, who received his MBE from the Queen for services to sport in 1985, said: "I am very proud of her - the whole family is very proud of her.

LIVERPOOL FC legend Kenny Dalglish has rallied behind beleaguered Reds skipper Steven Gerrard.

The former player manager had been in Southport's Lounge Inn with his wife about 30 minutes before the alleged attack for which Gerrard was arrested.

He said: "He had been telling us how he and his wife Alex wanted to get more involved with helping Marina's charity.

1 2 ... 44 Next