November 2009 Archives

reinajohnson450.jpg

Liverpool FC's Pepe Reina one of the best in the world - Glen Johnson

GLEN JOHNSON today hailed derby hero Pepe Reina as 'one of the best in the business' and claimed his astonishing double save can transform Liverpool's season.

Rafa Benitez's tribute to 'world class' Liverpool FC goalkeeper Pepe Reina

RAFA BENITEZ saluted his "world class" goalkeeper Pepe Reina, after the Reds Spanish shotstopper made a memorable and match-winning double save at Goodison Park yesterday.

Dirk Kuyt: Mersey derby win can be catalyst for Liverpool's FC Premier League campaign

DIRK KUYT believes derby day success was the perfect way to banish Liverpool's Champions League misery - and can be the catalyst for another assault on the top four.

mascheranogoodison450.jpg

THINK of the Merseyside Derby and, in a flash, any number of sporting icons should come flooding into your thoughts.

They are names that will stand the test of time, men whose achievements on the field of battle will still be referred to when this generation is long gone, but never would you have considered linking the great golfer Gary Player with this contest. Until now, that is.

You will know where this is going. Player, of course, famously declared "the harder I work, the luckier I seem to get" and that quote could have been coined for the offering Liverpool served up at a rain-sodden Goodison Park yesterday.

fellainiderbynov09.jpg

GIVEN the afternoon he'd endured, David Moyes' reaction was understand- able. "Do you want this leaving on?" enquired an eager to please press officer, as the Blues boss trudged into the press room while Sir Steven Redgrave and Kelly Smith were still plucking balls from the FA's drum.

"No," he rapped, probably fearing a third round trip to Melchester Rovers with Roy Race on a hot scoring streak.

He needn't have worried. Carlisle at home was a good draw. But it was the only thing which went right for him all day.

kuytgoodisonnov09.jpg

Character shown in 2-0 derby win over Everton FC can transform our season says Liverpool FC's Dirk Kuyt

DERBY hero Dirk Kuyt believes Liverpool have shown the character that can transform their season after stealing victory at Goodison.

Everton FC 0, Liverpool FC 2: Happy Days for Rafa Benitez as the Fonz looks on

IT WAS almost as if Bill Kenwright was actively tempting fate. Never one to miss the opportunity of raising his club's profile, the Everton owner invited Henry Winkler, better known as the Fonz, as a guest of honour at Goodison yesterday.

Star of Liverpool FC legend Bill Shankly show will dress to impress

SHANKLY Show star Sandy West will don a vintage tracksuit along with the mantle of the Liverpool FC legend when he reprises the role of the iconic manager next month.

270908-everton-h1.jpg

This morning started like any other Sunday, both here and I am sure on the streets of Merseyside, but there was one big difference, it was Derby Day. The weather forecast was not good; it was already raining and would continue to do so for the rest of the day.
I switched on the television for my usual dose of the Sunday Supplement and was confronted with a mixture of views from Martin Lipton, Andy Dunn and Martin Samuel. They all agreed that today's game would be as though two sick men were getting together with each one trying to prove who would improve first. David Moyes they agreed realised that he had problems and Rafa Benitez for some reason refused to do so. After discussing several other points they brought up the question of ground sharing. Apparently this was first touted by ex Liverpool Chairman Peter Robinson, but dismissed then and all three were sure that it would never happen because of the history surrounding each club.

Once that programme had finished I switched on the radio and waited for the clock to tick down like a spoilt child. Midday arrived and the sports coverage began with reminders of past Liverpool Derby's. It certainly set the mood for the afternoon and my expectation of a win began to rise. Although we had won on Tuesday evening, we still needed a big pick me up to restore the team's confidence. Citytalk sport had reporters outside Goodison Park along with one on the Soccerbus (local bus service run by Liverpool City Council on match days). Between them, they interviewed a cross section of supporters from both teams and the mood appeared to be very uplifting. Who would be the happiest by 15.30 I wondered -praying that it would be the red side of the city.

Switching back to the studio, the presenter said that a rumour was going around that Fernando Torres had not travelled on the team bus. It appears that Rafa Benitez has learnt one lesson; there is no point in putting someone onto the field of play that is not fit. This was quickly confirmed and the team announced. This was Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Insua,Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt, Aurelio, Gerrard and Ngog. Substitutes: Cavalieri, Aquliani, Benayoun, Riera, El Zhar, Skrtel and Kyriakos. The referee for the afternoon was Alan Wiley

1 2 ... 16 Next