August 2009 Archives

Gerrard - title charge begins now

The Reds skipper sets his sights on glory after netting Bolton winner.

Bolton 2 Liverpool 3 - James Pearce's verdict

The considered view of the action at the Reebok stadium.

Drums along the M61

By Larry Moran on Aug 30, 09 08:29 PM in Fans

gerrardtorresbolton.jpg

Recent trips up to Bolton for this Liverpool fan in particular have started to become very wearing. Nothing wrong with the stadium or the locality itself or more recently the results, it's just that the efforts by those that run the Reebok stadium to generate "atmosphere" have become increasingly desperate.

It was bad enough going up there when Le Grand Sam was in charge. True, the ball was usually an afterthought and the inevitable bruising encounter ensued but at least by whatever means at their disposal, Bolton were a side occasionally challenging for Europe.

Bolton's supporters are apparently not lovers of the current regime under Gary Megson and it showed on Saturday as there were large gaps in all of the stands occupied by the home support. The pre-match entertainment at Bolton includes cheerleaders giving it the usual pom-pom waving enthusiasm in front of the home support - didn't mind that to be honest - but all we got at our end was the occasional glimpse of some Herbert dressed in a lion suit.

There's only one piece of silverware Liverpool fans want to see paraded around Anfield next May and that, as we all know, is the Premiership trophy. Winning the Champions League for a 6th time would be a fantastic acheivment but even that would, in the eyes of most supporters, be deemed a disappointing season, even more so if Man Utd. win the title for a record 19th time. That scenario doesn't bare thinking about.
Not winning the Premiership title will likely mean the end of the road for Rafa as six years of failed Premiership title attempts would raise questions about his ability to translate his obvious talents into bringing home the most coveted prize. I could go on about failed rotation systems, faith in players that just aren't good enough and of course the most likely cause for failure, the two dreadful American owners who have promised so much and have delivered so little.
However, let us hope that this season, even after an uncertain start, brings to an end the 20 year wait and that Rafa shows us all that he has what it takes to win the Premiership title again and again.

This afternoon I switched the computer on with trepidation, would I be watching another disaster or would Liverpool Football Club find their winning ways.

The team was as expected, Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Kygiakos, Insua, Kuyt, Masherano, Lucas, Riera, Gerrard and Torres. On the subs bench was Gulacsi,Voronin, Benayoun, Plessi, Kelly, Skirtel and Dossena.

Looking at the team sheet, I thought maybe we have a chance and settled down to watch the game. The team started quite well with Torres getting an early chance which he unfortunately missed. Oh dear I thought here we go again. Bolton were having a good day and were soon attacking our players causing a couple of free kicks. Unfortunately again the opportunity to score was missed. I watched and waited, my heart feeling a little lighter as the team seemed to be playing very well. They were passing to one another and the game was flowing nicely. I thought if this carries on, we could perhaps win the game.

gerrardtranmere.jpg

Rafa Benitez backs Steven Gerrard to put on Reebok classic

RAFA BENITEZ is backing Steven Gerrard to take out his frustration on Bolton at the Reebok Stadium today.

My Liverpool FC players will show true colours - Rafa Benitez

THERE has been plenty of soul searching going on at Melwood this week.

Liverpool FC physio Dave Galley: Man Utd chief David Gill is a fine one to preach about conflict

THE removal of Liverpool physio Dave Galley from England duty raises some serious questions about Manchester United's influence inside the corridors of power at the Football Association.

* Check out the ECHO's LFC channel here for the latest Reds news, views and content

1 2 ... 12 Next