December 2009 Archives

External Image of the New anfield.jpg

Yesterday it was revealed in the Liverpool Echo that Liverpool Football Club is now in the position to go ahead with the building of the New Stadium in Stanley Park.

This was in fact revealed by Warren Bradley who is the leader of Liverpool City Council. During an interview he stated that he had been told by Chief Executive Christian Purslow that the rebuild was due to start before the end of April 2010. He also revealed that he has told the club that it is time for them to move on as the whole sorry saga has gone on for far too long. It appears that there has been a turnaround due to the fact that Liverpool Football Club had to open up their books to prove to the Football Association that the city could bid to become a host city for the 2018 World Cup.

I only hope that this is not another false dawn for the club and its supporters. We have had far too many of those already. As most people are aware one of the first promises that Tom Hicks and George Gillett made was that a spade would be in ground within weeks of them taking over. I have been to Anfield several times this season and it hurts to see the builders hoardings covering what should now be a building site in the throes of handing a new stadium over to Liverpool Football Club. I will be honest and say that I have actually stood there and tried to imagine what it would look like.

johnsoninjuryvilla450.jpg

Glen Johnson's knee ligament injury to keep him out for month: Liverpool FC latest

GLEN JOHNSON will be sidelined for at least a month as he recovers from a torn medial ligament.

TOMMY SMITH: It's a Happy New Year after all for Liverpool FC now!

THAT was a great way to end the year after all the disappointments of recent weeks.

Merseyside Sport Review of 2009: Distant days when the city went springing towards glory

IT was a year of two halves. The first half brought near misses for Everton and Liverpool, but the promise of better things to come. The second half, well . . . let's just say 2010 can't come quick enough.

The Jury: Liverpool FC fans look back on an up and down 2009

WELL, they do say this is the season to be jolly!

Torres - Aston Villa V Liverpool.jpg

We have now reached the time of the season where the glut of Christmas games is almost over and a new year is fast approaching. From the start of the season in August 2009, Liverpool Football Club has had a torrid time, winning a game appears to have become something of a mystery to the team. The form of many of the players has come into question with members of the press and supporters asking if they are in fact fit to wear to the Liverpool Shirt.

Our first game over this period was against Wolves on Boxing Day and I honestly wondered if our fortunes would change. It was one of those games that should have been a walk over but yet again it was given the label of being the start of our season. Unfortunately I was unable to watch the start of this game but I understood from fellow supporters that the first half showed all the signs of the team's current malaise. Arriving home from my granddaughter's I switched on the television and caught the game several minutes into the second half. I watched and to be honest I wondered if Father Christmas had worked his magic over the holiday period. The team seemed to be playing well together and it was not long before both Stevie G and Benayoun scored. We had finally won a game and things appeared to be looking up - but the question everyone began to ask was, would we win our game at Aston Villa in several days time?

Tuesday evening arrived and although I had not heard anything during the day whilst listening to the radio, fellow supporters were contacting me and asking why on earth Dossena was on the team sheet. After giving them the standard answer of I don't honestly know, I waited until the sports programme began, but it was a while before the team was announced. No offence to the lad but thankfully Dossena was not in the team but Aquilani was and I wondered if he would be on the pitch for the whole game.

torresvilladec09450.jpg

AND that's the reason he's a record breaker. Fernando Torres has proven time and again why he is worth his weight in gold, but his latest extraordinary feat could prove priceless.

Torres' name was etched into Liverpool folklore long ago and he did not need the tag of 'fastest striker to 50 league goals' for supporters to hold him any higher in their affections or to remind people of his quality.

Yet, in smashing this particular milestone at Villa Park, Torres has revived a Liverpool season that two weeks ago was on the verge of collapse but now looks, belatedly, to be heading in the right direction.

Fernando Torres score the winner at Villa Park Dec 2009.jpg

A spirited Liverpool FC display at Villa Park on Tuesday night, including a 93rd minute Fernando Torres winner, his 50th for Liverpool and the fastest ever scored by any Liverpool player, provided the perfect, confidence building, tonic the Red Men needed to give their ailing season some sort of momentum and a platform to build upon. In short, it will have given them belief.

Ironically, it was the match-winner Torres who looked the most out-of-sorts player on the field until he scored that beauty of a goal. The final ball was missing and the ones he did receive he was unable to capitalize on. His body language didn't look good. But like the world-class striker he is, he only needed one clear-cut chance and he took it brilliantly.

1 2 ... 15 Next