April 2010 Archives

Last night was the night when Anfield showed the world what a wonderful stadium it was on a European night. This was to be the night when our hopes of winning a trophy would move a little closer.

Anfield was staging the second leg of the semi final against Athletico Madrid and as always befits such an occasion the Kop were in fine voice. The noise coming from the stands was absolutely amazing and reminded me of times gone by. We had two things to worry about before the game even started, we were a goal behind and our star striker was missing. In true Liverpool spirit though, the team chosen came out and knew what they had to do.

It was Reina, Mascherano, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Lucas, Gerrard, Aqilani, Babel. Benayoun and Kuyt. Substitutes were Cavileri, Kyriakos, Pacheco, Degen, El Zhar, Ayala and Ngog.

reina450.jpg

Pepe Reina pledges Liverpool FC will bounce back from Europa League defeat to beat Chelsea

PEPE REINA today predicted a stirring performance against Chelsea on Sunday will help Liverpool get over the devastation of seeing their European dreams shattered.

COMMENT: Liverpool FC suffer more frustration as season of woe continues

TRY telling Steven Gerrard this was only the consolation cup. Try telling Jamie Carragher the Europa League isn't worth winning.

Rafa Benitez blames finances for Liverpool FC's Europa League loss to Atletico Madrid

RAFA BENITEZ admitted a major rebuilding job is needed at Anfield this summer after Liverpool crashed out of the Europa League at the hands of Atletico Madrid.

atleticodefeat450.jpg

THE nursery rhyme, then, is correct after all; if two magpies are a signal for joy, one most certainly is a pointer for sorrow.

For much of an absorbing but ultimately galling Europa League semi-final, a lone, plump magpie hopped around the Kop penalty area, brazenly ignoring the stampeding feet of Liverpool and Atletico Madrid's players.

Those who look for omens should have known from then that Liverpool's hopes of salvaging their season were being conspired against by the fates.

gerrodefeat300.jpg

SO Liverpool's attempts to follow in the footsteps of The Beatles on the route to success and glory in Hamburg faltered at the final hurdle.

Now the questions will be asked whether Rafael Benitez has reached the end of his long and winding road as Anfield manager.

If the Spaniard was still waiting on reassurances over his long-term future earlier this week, then he received little encouragement on the field last night as hopes of a Europa League final appearance were dashed by Atletico Madrid.

gerrardtraining.jpg

Rafa Benitez backs Steven Gerrard to inspire Liverpool FC to Europa League final in Hamburg

RAFA BENITEZ will urge his players to follow their leader tonight - as he tipped the desperation in Liverpool's squad to give them a crucial edge.

Winning the Europa League would make up for some of this season's lows - Liverpool FC's Jamie Carragher

IT was one of the defining images of the season, 18 men huddled around a TV monitor, hoping and praying Lyon would score a goal in Florence to provide them with salvation.

Dietmar Hamann prays for a repeat of Liverpool FC's 2001 UEFA Cup odyssey

NOSTALGIA hangs heavily in the air when the stakes are at their highest on an Anfield European night and that will again be the case this evening.

Liverpool FC fans have their say in ECHO survey - the results

AN overwhelming majority of Liverpool FC supporters are positive about the club's future.

The Jury: Liverpool FC fans on the Reds' hopes of getting past Atletico Madrid to the Europa League final in Hamburg

IT is difficult to believe after a season of such variable form and multiple injuries and rumours surrounding the entire club we stand one game away from a major European final.

1 2 ... 12 Next

Latest Premier League video

Video

Recent Comments