January 2008 Archives

RECENT events at Anfield leave me worried as to what the future holds.

What is going on behind the scenes?

The co-owners seem to be messing around with the club's finances; the manager is messing around with team selection; and, generally, the Liverpool FC traditions George Gillett and Tom Hicks spoke so dearly about 12 months ago seem to be totally undermined.

THERE'S no getting round the fact that Liverpool were painfully poor on Saturday.

But there were winners - and not just the Havant & Waterlooville heroes.

The Liverpool fans deserved the utmost credit for the way they supported the non-league side.

If you look around the ground near the end of any Premier League fixture, you'll normally see quite a few empty seats as fans make an early dart to avoid the rush.

HOPES of a sustained title challenge by Liverpool have gone by the board.

An early season unbeaten run suggested a full scale assault on the league, but the Reds have since become a pale shadow of themselves.

It is the cup campaigns once again that offer the consolation - and what a consolation if another Champions League final appearance can be achieved!

THERE was a time when the only drawing power we used to talk about at Anfield was the number of fans clamouring to get into the ground.

Nowadays it means something very different.

It's been a long time since a Liverpool team has drawn six home matches by mid-January.

And for me the whole approach of the side has to change.

IF Rafa Benitez wanted a guide as to how to play the rest of the season he got it at Anfield last night.

I'm not talking about the cup result against Luton or how the team finally shook off their lack of thrust up front, I'm talking about the changes he made late on.

Liverpool were 5-0 up at that stage. Then he replaced Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Peter Crouch. The score remained 5-0.

1 2 ... 3 Next

Latest Premier League video

Video

Recent Comments