October 2011 Archives

The last seven days could in the future been marked as those that proved Liverpool Football Club were in deed on their way back.

On Wednesday we played Stoke in the Carling Cup and with Stoke being one of those teams that we seem to be unable to beat, it was either going to be a game where Liverpool folded once more, or indeed a game where they showed that yes, Stoke are team that we can finally add to the list of those that can be put to bed quite easily.

It was a game where the team was expected to be different from the one that had played Norwich the previous Saturday, a game as we know that ended in a draw due in the end to our defensive failings.  It was and players such as Sebastian Coates, Martin Kelly, Jay Spearing and Andy Carroll returning to the team.  Stevie was given the evening off, which meant that Jamie was the evening's Captain.

Luis Suarez 460.jpg

Liverpool FC call for better protection from referees for Luis Suarez

LUIS SUAREZ should be fit to face Stoke City in the Carling Cup tomorrow night - but Liverpool remain fuming over the way the striker was treated by referee Peter Walton in the 1-1 draw with Norwich City.

Kenny Dalglish hails talent and attitude of Liverpool FC's Craig Bellamy

LIVERPOOL FC boss Kenny Dalglish has praised both the talent and the attitude shown by Craig Bellamy since he returned to Anfield this summer.

John Aldridge: Liverpool FC must sharpen up at both ends

LIVERPOOL'S draw with Norwich City at Anfield was hugely frustrating and a great opportunity to get closer to Manchester United and Chelsea was wasted.

Walton MP Steve Rotheram on his Hillsborough debate speech - and where we go from here

WALTON MP Steve Rotheram and all of those seeking the truth about Hillsborough have now had time to reflect on the momentous events of last week - as they look ahead, with some hope, to the full story finally unfolding.

Luis Suarez 460.jpg

Liverpool FC: Luis Suarez is not a diver, says Jose Enrique

JOSE ENRIQUE insists Luis Suarez is no diver and believes the Liverpool FC striker was harshly treated in the 1-1 draw with Norwich City at Anfield.

Liverpool FC 1 Norwich City 1 - James Pearce sees LFC struggle to make their superiority tell

OLD habits die hard for Liverpool FC at Anfield. Much has changed for the better since the turn of the year but the failure to put away inferior opposition remains a recurring theme.

Neil Jones' Liverpool FC analysis: Wasteful Reds lack a ruthless streak

LIVERPOOL have been here before this season. Just last week, in fact. But while a frustrating 1-1 draw with Manchester United proves just how far Kenny Dalglish's side have come in the past nine months, this week's stalemate against Norwich City shows how far they still have to go if they are to re-establish themselves among the Premier League's elite.

Hillsborough campaigner Trevor Hicks call for revamp of coroner system

A PROMINENT Hillsborough campaigner today called for a revamp of the coroner's court system.

Today marked the end of what could turn out to be a momentous week for Liverpool Football Club and the 96 Angels that watch over us every day.  On Monday evening we had the parliamentary debate regarding the full release of the papers relating to the Hillsborough disaster.  A debate that was started by Steve Rotherham MP with a rousing speech that set the tone for the next four hours and twenty minutes.  It was a very emotional occasion and finally the light is beginning to shine through the end of the tunnel.  The motion was passed and the government have promised to release all the papers without any alterations or deletions which is victory for everyone that has campaigned for this over the last twenty two years.  A victory that was epitomised by the mural today on the KOP dedicated to the 96.

Football wise, it was a day that should have finished with a totally different result.  Liverpool was playing Norwich for the first time in seven years and was expected to win the game.  Norwich after all were one of the minnow's the Premiership having come up from the Championship at the end of the last season, but they had already proved that they can give the 'bigger clubs' a run for their money by playing well at Manchester United and Chelsea.

The way they played during these two games should have sent the alarm bells ringing through the rest of the Premiership and ensure that the teams they put out were ones that could beat an up and coming Norwich eleven.   Eleven players that are very rarely changed, so they are fully aware of each other strengths and weaknesses. This as we know is how the winning mentally is installed and kept within the playing staff and Paul Lambert is proving what a fantastic manager he is.

Today was one of those days in the life of Liverpool Football Club that would go down in its history for several different things.  It was the first anniversary of the takeover by John W Henry and FSG. A take- over that saved the club from going into administration and signalled to the Premiership that Liverpool were on their way back.

To mark the anniversary, Tom Werner and minority shareholder Lebron James had flown in to watch this weekend's game.  Now Lebron James is well known in the States due to his sporting exploits, but is now working for FSG in his guise as a marketing man to sell the club in America and the Far East and I sincerely hope that he enjoyed the game because going by the camera shots, he seemed totally bemused by it all.

Most importantly of course it was the day that our Captain returned to his rightful place in the team.  A day, which had been earmarked several weeks ago by Kenny to ensure this, happened.   Why because today was the day, that we would play Manchester United at Anfield.

1 2 ... 3 Next

Latest Premier League video

Video

Recent Comments