November 2012 Archives

Swansea Bore Draw

By Faith Fulcher on Nov 25, 12 05:30 PM in Fans

There is not really a lot to say about the ninety minutes that I have just witnessed.  Liverpool Football Club are supposed to be a top class side.  A side that should be capable of beating the likes of Swansea but going by the performance today Michael Laudrup is doing a better job of getting his players to play the game of football.

I suspect I am going to answer my own question here, but why on earth were Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Joe Cole in the team because they certainly do not deserve to be there.  I can only think it is because January is just around the corner and what worries me about that scenario is I do not believe that they will be replaced with better quality players.

Now you would have thought that Brendan would have gone all out to prove to Swansea that as he keeps telling the world, he has indeed moved to a better club with years of history behind it.  He did not of course and unless something is done about it very soon, it is my belief that the clubs supporters are going to start getting very rebellious.

Alaves 460.jpg

AHEAD of the Reds' match against Young Boys Bern in the Europa League at Anfield this evening, MICHAEL SLATTERY looks back at Liverpool's top five moments in the old UEFA Cup...

Today was the day that hopefully showed that Liverpool has finally turned the corner.  Liverpool were playing Wigan at home and it was a game that had already been termed as a must win game, due to our standing and lack of results in the Premier League.

Brendan had also chosen virtually the same that had played the previous weekend - the only changes being the return of Pepe Reina and Martin Skrtel, both having recovered from their injury and illness problems.

Now Wigan of course is managed by Roberto Martinez who during the summer was rumoured to have been offered the vacant manager's position at Liverpool.  He was also the manager of Swansea before Brendan Rodgers took over and oversaw their promotion to the Premier League.  That of course meant that both managers were aware of each other's style of play and possible tactics.

That man of course was Luis Suarez who scored one of those goals that only he can score.

But it could have turned out differently for Liverpool who after playing at a fantastic tempo for the first twenty minutes of the game, seemed to tire and lose their way completely.  Why that is, only they can answer and if the truth be known, they need too, because if not we are going to witness another season of draws and loses rather than the wins that we need.

The football as I have said for the first twenty minutes was wonderful to watch, with the players finally beginning to look at home with the pass and move style of play.  Within six minutes of the start it looked as though fate might finally have been on Liverpool's side when Luis Suarez was brought down in the penalty area. Then followed the usual calls for a penalty but referee Anthony Taylor waived play on.

Why is that you may ask?  The answer is very simple because last night Liverpool showed that they are now a team not only in transition but one that come April, may well be fighting to stay in the Premier League.

Last night was the night that Liverpool as holders of the League Cup (I don't like any of the silly titles it is now given) should have done everything they could to have ensured that they went into the competition with a determination to keep it in the Anfield trophy cabinet.

They did not and it became apparent within minutes of the game starting that we were going to lose. In fact I will be honest here, I was sent the line-up on Tuesday morning and knew then that we had no hope of beating Swansea, but being a true Liverpool supporter put that to the back of my mind.

Latest Premier League video

Video

Recent Comments

November 2013