October 2008 Archives

Down at the Lane

By Jay Riley on Oct 31, 08 08:34 PM in Fans

After our tremendous performance over Chelsea on Sunday and the just as important 3 points Wednesday night against Pompey, we now face a rejuvenated Tottenham side who are on the back of a home victory and a great comeback derby draw at the Emirates. Not to mention the dramatic turn of events that unfolded last Saturday night, when Juande Ramos was relieved of his duties and replaced by Harry Redknapp.

So this game at White Hart Lane could pose a bigger test than expected, as they're tails may well be up and players will be trying to impress the new man in charge. But lets get one thing straight here, these players are the same players that have started the season so poorly, they are much weakened from the side we faced last season when they had such stars as Berbatov and Keane, they still have the same weak centre, in particular the midfield area and defensively they have been a shambles!...oh and the keeper isn't much cop either...

IT may not have carried the lusty appeal of a record-breaking triumph in the capital, but the message was similarly loud and clear. Liverpool mean business.

The manner in which Chelsea were put to the sword may have sent out a bold statement of intent but last night simply getting the job done was the most important aspect.

Liverpool got there in the end, and in doing so confirmed they can still be in the mix when the season reaches its conclusion.

Make no mistake, if the collision with Portsmouth had gone the same way as the tussle with Stoke City last month then Rafael Benitez would have been left fielding the same old questions about his team's championship credentials.

RAFAEL BENITEZ claims he was always confident Liverpool would break down a dogged Portsmouth to maintain their Premier League lead.

Steven Gerrard's penalty 14 minutes from time earned the Anfield outfit a hard-fought 1-0 win over their South Coast visitors last night.

It extended Liverpool's unbeaten start to the season and ensured they remain three points clear of Chelsea at the top of the table.

Benitez made four changes from the team that secured a 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

And the Anfield manager believes it was important Liverpool did not lose the momentum generated by that historic result.

"After the victory against Chelsea it was very important to get these three points, and to show that we can change four or five players and still win matches," said Benitez.

I was planning to write a blog previewing tonight's game against Portsmouth; about how much I was looking forward to going to Anfield tonight following Sunday's amazing win at Stamford Bridge; about the feel-good factor of being a Red at the present moment; about how much I was looking forward to seeing Peter Crouch given a standing ovation by the Kop; about how much I hoped Liverpool would grab the bull be the horns after going top of the Premier League. Sadly though, an old enemy of our club and city has reared his ugly head yet again.

RAFAEL BENITEZ believes Liverpool will need an "almost perfect" season if they are to finally end their championship drought.

The Anfield outfit moved three points clear at the top of the Premier League table with their historic victory at Chelsea on Sunday.

It was a further signal of Liverpool's growing belief they can launch a serious challenge for a title they last won way back in 1990.

Since Benitez assumed charge in the summer of 2004, the championship has been won by Chelsea with points totals of 95 and 91 and then Manchester United with totals of 89 and 87.

1 2 ... 47 Next

Latest Premier League video

Video

Recent Comments