Results tagged “Hillsborough” from Liverpool FC News, Discussion & Debate | Liverpool Banter

April 15th 1989. A date that will always bring Liverpool fans to a standstill.

From one generation to another, the Hillsborough disaster is a topic that every resident on Merseyside, and football fan across the country should be made fully aware of.

Although I am only 19, I have been brought up and fully educated on a subject that many understandably find difficult to talk about. After all I come from a family full of Liverpool fans, some of whom were in attendance on that fateful day.

While they were in the relative safety of one of the side stands, my Grandmother's cousin was one of the 96 who died on the Leppings Lane terrace. Every year she recalls her own experiences from that afternoon. It may be the same story but it is one I never tire of hearing as we make our way up to Anfield for the memorial service.

anfield.jpg

LIVERPOOL are now officially up for sale and the sooner we get rid of the American owners the better.

We can't move forward while Tom Hicks and George Gillett are still in charge and hopefully the appointment of Martin Broughton as chairman will speed up their departure.

Broughton is clearly highly regarded in the business world and we need him to find decent people who want to own the club for the right reasons.

TRIBUTES were today paid to a tireless Hillsborough campaigner who has died at the age of 72.

George Tomkins succumbed to a lung illness on Wednesday after years fighting for justice for those who died in Sheffield.

In 1983, the Liverpool FC fan spent 17 months on remand in Winson Green prison following an armed robbery in Leamington Spa, even spending time with one of the Birmingham Six during his time behind bars.

THE 20th anniversary of Hillsborough has resulted in the fight for justice for the 96 victims of British football's worst ever disaster being reinvigorated.

All of a sudden there are no shortage of politicians, media commentators and people in general who believe that the campaign for justice is one which deserves their backing.

grobbelaarhillsborough450.jpg

TODAY, the Liverpool ECHO can exclusively expose how police statements were crucially altered after the Hillsborough tragedy.

For the first time ever, we can reveal how reams of officers' accounts were deleted in the weeks following the disaster and how huge swathes of first-hand police statements were removed by South Yorkshire Police.

Today, families of the 96 Liverpool supporters who were killed said the dossier showed South Yorkshire Police trying to divert blame on to others.